TREATY & LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
The Forest Terrace Heights Community League respectfully acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory and in Region 4 of the Métis Nation of Alberta. For thousands of years, this has been the home and gathering place of treaty signatories the Cree, Nakota Sioux, Stony, Saulteaux and Cree-Iroquois, and of other Indigenous peoples, including the Blackfoot, Dene and Métis.
We make this acknowledgement as an act of reconciliation and to honour those who signed the treaties with the intent that we live alongside one another harmoniously. We recognize that all Albertans are treaty people and have a responsibility to become aware of our shared history and to understand the spirit of Treaty 6 so that we can create a just future built on peace and friendship. We are grateful for the opportunity to live, work and play on this land and to the people whose histories, languages, and cultures continue to enhance our community.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY
The Forest and Terrace Heights communities commence at the corner of 98 Avenue and Fulton Ravine and follow the ravine north to the river, west to the riverbank (excluding the Riverside Golf Course), south to 98 Avenue, and east to Fulton Ravine. Forest Heights follows the winding green curves of the North Saskatchewan River Valley. Four bridges provide access to North Edmonton, while area business is concentrated on the roads which bound the vicinity.
According to the City of Edmonton's neighbourhood profile, the Forest Heights area was initially developed in 1911 by Windsor Realty, and it is assumed that the company's owner, James H. McKinley, an Edmonton alderman from 1909 to 1911, chose the neighbourhood name. The neighbourhood officially became part of Edmonton in 1913 but remained in agricultural use until the 1940s. Housing demand increased significantly after the Second World War and most of Forest Heights was developed during the 1950s. Terrace Heights is located on land that was first surveyed in the 1880s. As the area’s fur trade was winding down, many people around Fort Edmonton began staking claims to land in the immediate vicinity, farming in the river lot fashion that was a staple of Métis culture.
The neighbourhood also encompasses land once held by Donald McLeod, a Hudson Bay Company employee turned sawmill operator and land speculator, who in 1883 established the first passenger and freight service on the wagon trail between Edmonton and Calgary. A plan of subdivision was first registered for the Terrace Heights area in 1912, but development was slow until the land was annexed in two steps by the City of Edmonton in 1954 and 1959, according to the city's neighbourhood profile.
Today, it is essentially two quiet, single-unit residential areas separated by a high-density residential and commercial corridor along 101 Avenue.